Being optimistic can have a wide range of benefits, from stronger relationships and lower stress levels to more adventurous career choices and better health, there are many reasons to bring a bit more optimism into your life.
To be optimistic is easier than people care to believe. Here are six ways to help you change from being pessimistic to being a happy optimist:
- Mix with optimists. They are fun to be with and will lift your mood in no time – very soon people will like to spend more time with you too!
- Focus on the task at hand. When you are totally in the moment and paying attention to what you are doing there is no room for pessimistic thoughts.
- Smile! It is impossible to have a moan while smiling like a Cheshire Cat!
- Indulge in good humour. Watch a comedy show and be on the look out for the “funny” side of things.
- When you notice or catch yourself painting a bleak picture, change it. Use your imagination to create a new optimistic outcome. This will change your emotional state and help you see a brighter future.
- Don’t Dwell On the Past. One of the biggest culprits for dragging us down and keeping us down is getting stuck on what went wrong in the past and thinking the same pessimistic thoughts over and over again. Be aware of your thoughts and catch them early!
Final reason for being an optimist: it makes you very attractive!